HI Little Rock Firehouse Hostel & Museum is located at 1201 Commerce Street in Little Rock, Arkansas.
We are centrally located in downtown Little Rock within historic MacArthur Park, directly behind both the Arkansas Arts Center and the MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History, one block west of Interstate 30 near Interstate 630. The hostel is only a 10-minute Yellow cab or Uber ride, or a 15-minute Rock Region METRO bus ride from the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. It is 10-minute ride from the local Amtrak station, or a 5-minute walk from the Rock Region METRO’s River Cities Travel Center at East Capitol and Rock Streets.
The nearest major intersection is Interstate 30 and 9th Street.
- From I-30 South, take the 9th Street exit (Exit 140A) shortly after crossing the Arkansas River. Turn right onto 9th Street, and then turn left on Commerce Street at the far end of MacArthur Park after passing the museums. The hostel is on the left, about 200 yards down.
- From I-30 North, take Exit 140. Turn left at the stoplight onto E. 9th street, then turn left again on Commerce Street. The hostel is on the left, about 200 yards down.
- From I-630 East, take the Main Street exit (Exit 1A) and continue one block past Main Street to Scott Street. Turn left to go over the interstate and proceed to 9th Street. Turn right on 9th Street, and then right on Commerce Street. The hostel is on the left, about 200 yards down.
Arrivals by Train
For guests arriving via Amtrak’s Texas Eagle, we are only 2 miles away from the station. A Yellow Cab is often waiting for passengers, so you typically don’t have to call. Uber is usually available as well. Unfortunately, all train arrivals occur at night, when the city bus is not in service.
City Bus Information
Rock Region METRO is our city bus system and runs from 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
PLEASE NOTE: The #6 Granite Mountain bus terminates earlier than other buses, with the last bus leaving the River Cities Travel Center at 6:20 pm.
- Fares are $1.35 one-way, or $1.40 with a transfer to another bus (let the bus driver know when boarding). An all-day pass can be purchased for $3.75.
- Rock Region METRO information can be found at www.rrmetro.org/ or by calling (501) 375-1163.
- They also have a free mobile phone app called METROtrack to plan your trips or check buses via GPS in real time. Click here to download it.
- Bus #6 stops in front of the hostel every 40 minutes, or it’s a 10-minute walk to/from the River Cities Travel Center.
- You can text RRMETRO (13476) to 41411 and receive the bus number and next arrival time at your stop via text message.
- All Rock Region METRO buses offer free Wi-Fi and have a large bin at the front for luggage/bags.
- Feel free to ask the bus operator to let you off at the 1201 Commerce St. “Hostel” stop in advance.
If you do not have exact change, Rock Region METRO will print you a change card for the difference if the amount exceeds $1. Change cards can used towards additional rides, or can be cashed in at the River Cities Travel Center during business hours (7 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday-Friday).
Nearly all roads lead to the travel center! The River Cities Travel Center, located at 310 E. Capitol Avenue in downtown Little Rock, is the main transfer point for all Rock Region METRO bus lines. It is only 8 blocks from HI Little Rock Firehouse Hostel & Museum and 3 blocks from the River Market. Little Rock Police provide security, and a change machine is available inside the lobby as well as restrooms, a water fountain, and seating.
Rock Region METRO does not accept credit or debit cards on their buses, but they are accepted at the River Cities Travel Center for purchases of a 10-ride card ($11.50) or monthly pass ($36). If using a 10-ride card and wanting a transfer, you must pay .05 in addition to using the 10-ride card when entering the bus. We often have 10-ride cards for sale at the hostel, but you can also purchase 10-ride and monthly passes in advance and have them mailed to you for free via Rock Region METRO’s Online Store.
The following is a guide for utilizing Rock Region METRO transportation to get to HI Little Rock Firehouse Hostel & Museum from various transportation hubs:
- Bill & Hillary Clinton Airport – Rock Region Metro has a bus stop at the Offsite Shuttle area. Cross the crosswalk at Exit D. The bus stop is located near the curve in the road to the side of the covered area. Look for the gray Rock Region METRO sign/ pole for the #20-College Station/Airport bus. Ask the driver to let you off at the 9th & Ferry St. stop, cross the street and walk through the park to the hostel. If you don’t mind a little extra time, feel free to continue to the River Cities Travel Center, and transfer to the #6–Granite Mountain bus that stops at the hostel! This might be the way to go for added convenience if you are carrying heavy luggage or multiple bags.
- Greyhound Bus Station – Both the #18–McAlmont and& #7–Shorter College buses serve this stop. Cross the street after exiting the station and turn left. Look for the gray Rock Region METRO sign/pole close to the red light (across the street from National Pawn Shop). Ask for a transfer upon boarding, then transfer to the #6–Granite Mountain bus at the River City Travel Center; it stops just in front of the Hostel!
- MegaBus – Little Rock’s MegaBus Stop is located at the Exxon parking lot at 612 E. Roosevelt Rd. Unfortunately, the best Rock Region METRO bus stop is 4 blocks north. Walk north on the I-30 service road to 21st & I-30. The bus stop is across the street and slightly to the left. Look for the gray Rock Region METRO sign/pole at the corner of E. 21st St. & Vance St. The same bus that serves HI Little Rock Firehouse Hostel & Museum serves this location, #6 Granite Mountain.